The waiver system will not be available from 9:45 p.m. to 2:00 a.m for system maintenance.

Workers' Compensation Coverage Waivers

en Español

The Labor Commission's office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday except for holidays.

In Utah, employers are required to provide workers' compensation coverage to its employees. Workers' compensation coverage pays for the medical costs and a portion of the lost wages of an employee injured while working on behalf of his/her employer.

In Utah, individuals with no employees and who hire out their services to a hiring employer may be considered “statutory employees.” These individuals are allowed to waive their rights to workers' compensation coverage by obtaining a Workers' Compensation Coverage Waiver (WCCW). The following entity categories may be eligible for the waiver:

  • Sole Proprietorships with no employee other than the owner.
  • Partnerships with no employee other than the partners. Please note that Limited Liability Companies are considered Partnerships and, as such, the members of an LLC may be eligible for a waiver. **Note: Limited Liability Companies that are required to be licensed under Utah law Title 58-Chapter 55, Utah Construction Trades Licensing Act, are required to procure and maintain workers' compensation coverage for its members and are not eligible for a waiver as stated in S.B. 35 of the 2011 Utah General Legislative Session. However, the LLC may be eligible for a waiver if certain conditions are met.
  • Director and/or officers of a corporation. Corporations that do not contract our their work and have no employees except directors and/or officers can now file a notice to exclude themselves from workers’ compensation benefits. This exclusion is limited to no more than five directors/officers. Please see our Corporate Exclusion page for additional information.
  • Independent Contractors who fall into any of the above categories, with no employees. Please note that an independent contractor is defined as:

    A person engaged in the performance of any work for another whom, while so engaged, is:

    1. Independent of the employer in all that pertains to the execution of the work;
    2. Not subject to the routine rule or control of the employer;
    3. Engaged only in the performance of a definite job or piece of work; and
    4. Subordinate to the employer only in effecting a result in accordance with the employer's design.

Eligible parties may apply for a WCCW by completing an application form, providing the required documentation as outlined below and paying a nonrefundable $50 processing fee.

The application may be completed online - click here. The web application allows the user to upload the required documents in PDF, TIFF(TIF), GIF & JPEG(JPG) formats and make an online credit card payment. Applicants also may print the posted application and submit via mail, fax (801-526-9628), or email to

To qualify for a Workers' Compensation Coverage Waiver (WCCW), you must provide:

  1. OPTION 1

    A copy of two of the following:

    1. A valid business license,
      • Example: A copy of the actual, active business license which is issued by a city or county.
    2. A license to engage in an occupation or profession,
      • Example: Active license issued by DOPL
      • Example: Commercial Drivers License (CDL)
    3. Documentation of an active liability insurance policy that covers the business entities activities,
      • Example: Current certificate of insurance
      • Example: Current declarations page
    4. The business entity's federal or state income tax return that shows business income for the complete taxable year that immediately precedes the day on which the entity submits the info.
      • Example: Schedule C, Form 1065, Form 1120 (Depending on business type) from the previous year's income tax return
  2. OPTION 2

    A copy of one document from Option 1 above AND two of the following:

    1. Proof of a bank account for the business entity,
      • Example: Bank statement, voided check, or a signed letter from a bank representative.
    2. Proof that the business entity has the following:
      1. a telephone number
      2. a physical location
      • Example: Phone bill in the name of the business
    3. An advertisement of services showing the business entity's name and contact information:
      1. in a newspaper of general circulation.
      2. in a telephone directory.
      3. on a website or social media.
      4. in a trade magazine.
      • Example: Copy of a recent newspaper, phone directory, or magazine advertisement; or a screenshot of an online or magazine advertisement (Online ad should be listed on the page of a reputable source)

    Note: An individual who owns or leases a motor vehicle to a motor carrier and personally operates the motor vehicle under an independent contractor agreement (truck driver/owner operator driver), must also provide, in addition to the supporting documents listed above, proof that the individual driver is covered by occupational accident insurance with coverage and benefit limits indicated in Utah law 34A-2-104(5)(e)-(8).

The Labor Commission may investigate a business entity to determine whether the business entity validly elects to not cover an owner, partner, or corporate officer or director as an employee under a workers' compensation policy.

If the Commission determines that a business entity's election is invalid, the Commission may deny the waiver application. If the Commission approves the waiver and if the business becomes ineligible during the one year term, the Commission may revoke the waiver.

We welcome your questions or comments

Utah Labor Commission
Industrial Accidents Division

160 East 300 South, 3rd Floor
P.O. Box 146610
Salt Lake City, UT, 84114-6610
In-State Toll Free 1-800-530-5090
Fax: (801) 530-6804