Files and records.

Workers' Compensation Records Request Information

A request for workers’ compensation records for yourself or an individual must be submitted with the proper authorization and necessary documentation. The Division of Industrial Accidents of the Utah Labor Commission (Division) will research workers’ compensation records only after necessary authorization to gather the records is received. Utah Labor Commission (Commission) workers’ compensation records are classified as “private” per the Government Records Access and Management ACT (GRAMA). Commission records are not subject to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) rules. Under GRAMA, the Division has up to 10 working days to respond to records requests.

Please remember that the Commission does not have medical records. Medical records are used/stored by the insurance carrier responsible for the claim or the physician(s) involved in that particular claim.

Necessary documentation:

  1. Form 205 – Authorization to Release Industrial Accidents Records. This is the form to request Industrial Accident Records, it contains all the necessary information and must be signed and notarized.  Other releaseforms may be used but must contain the required information and be notarized.  All release forms must be dated and notarized no more than 90 days before the date of the request. Record request by the claimant for the claimants use are free of charge ONE time, any request made after will have a fee.

  2. Along with the notarized records request release, a fee of $15.00 must be received before a records search is conducted.. After the records are collected, Form 203 – Records Request Response will be returned to the requester with the copy charge of .25 per document. Certified copies of documents are $2.00 per certification using our own certification. . The total fee amount must be paid before documents are mailed.

  3. Any employer, or third party firm requesting information on behalf of an employer (Federal regulation 1630.13(a) of E.E.O.C), must include a conditional job offer with the employee’s name and employer’s name listed and signed by the employee and a representative of the employer.


The Division administers the workers’ compensation program in Utah. It is not an insurance carrier so it would not have claim payment information or medical records.

If the above requirements are not met, the request for records will be returned along with the copy of your check (if applicable). In certain cases, the Division will request additional information or documentation. Once the additional information is received, then the Division will proceed with the request.

We welcome your questions or comments

Utah Labor Commission
Industrial Accidents Division

160 East 300 South, 3rd Floor
P.O. Box 146610
Salt Lake City, UT, 84114-6610
In-State Toll Free 1-800-530-5090
Fax: (801) 530-6804