Utah Employers Extra-Territorial Coverage and Reciprocal Arrangements

Extra-territorial coverage is defined as coverage extended to Utah employees who work outside of Utah. Reciprocal arrangements exist when a sister state allows Utah employees to work in their state without needing to obtain coverage in that state. If a state does not recognize a reciprocal arrangement, you are still covered in that state by Utah coverage pursuant to Utah’s laws, but may also be subject to that state’s requirement to obtain coverage there. Reciprocal arrangements vary by state with some states having certain industry exclusions. The Industrial Accidents Division issues extra-territorial certificates of insurance on a case by case basis. This certificate notifies the other state that Utah has coverage extending to the other state.

Utah’s Extra-Territorial Statute

How to request an Extra-Territorial Coverage Certificate

If you are a Utah employer with a current workers’ compensation policy and planning on working in any state Utah has a reciprocity agreement with, please send the following information to ET@utah.gov.

  1. Name of Business
  2. Workers’ Compensation Policy Number
  3. State of Issuance
  4. Duration of Time (not to exceed 6 months in a 12 month period or beyond the current policy end date)

List of states that have reciprocity agreements with Utah:


Florida – limit 10 consecutive days or maximum of 25 days in a calendar year. See



Montana - excludes construction work. https://erd.dli.mt.gov/workers-comp-regulations/...

Nevada – excludes construction work. For specific rules, please see:

North Dakota


South Dakota



Wyoming - Requires out of state employers to submit forms, please go to:https://doe.state.wy.us/wyereg/ or call 307-777-5476

Extra Territorial FAQ

We welcome your questions or comments

Utah Labor Commission
Industrial Accidents Division

160 East 300 South, 3rd Floor
P.O. Box 146610
Salt Lake City, UT, 84114-6610
In-State Toll Free 1-800-530-5090
Fax: (801) 530-6804
Email: iaccd@utah.gov