School Poster Contest Rules 2013
Important 2013 dates to remember:
- Deadline for submitting entries: February 22nd
- Judging of poster entries: March 29th
- The winner and top finishers will be notified: April 2013
- View 2012 winning entries
For questions and comments, please contact:
Public Information & Community Relations Officer
email@example.com (801) 530-6918
School Poster Rules 2013
- NEW: Along with art work, please submit a clearly legible list that includes all participating students’ names.
- Back of poster should include: Full name of student, the name of school and contact teacher with all information clearly legible. Entries without a student name will be automatically disqualified.
- Double check spelling on entries- typical errors include: “Safty” instead of Safety. Many outstanding posters were disqualified last year due to spelling errors!
- All middle and junior high students are eligible to enter and a certificate of recognition will be available for all participants.
- The entry must be a two-dimensional drawing or painting no larger than 2' x 3' and on paper flexible enough to put through a scanner.
- Artwork can be done using paints, markers, computers, pen and ink. Collages are welcome too! Students should keep in mind that artwork may be reproduced and full color artwork is preferred!
- Only ONE entry per student is allowed, any double entries will be disqualified.
- The entry should communicate the message to "Take Safety Seriously" and express the need for everyone to take safety seriously in the workplace. Some suggested sectors include:
- Service industry
- The public sector
With suggestions from parents, guardians or teachers, students should choose their own artwork content.
- All artwork must be completed by the students.
- All entries will become the sole property of the Utah Labor Commission and may be reproduced by the Commission for any purpose and in any form.
- NO COPYRIGHTED IMAGES MAY BE USED. i.e., Disney, TV ads, Cartoon characters, etc. Reproduction of these is a violation of copyright laws and will disqualify the poster.
Teachers will collect the entries and send them to:
The Utah Labor Commission
ATTN: Elena Bensor
P.O. Box 146600
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6600
Entries may also be hand delivered to our office at:
160 East 300 South, 3rd Floor
Salt Lake City
Entries will be judged by a panel of officials from the Labor Commission, based on the artwork content, originality, execution and relevance to workplace safety.
- The winning entry will receive a cash prize of $500 for the student, as well as a $250 cash prize for the classroom.
- The next three runners-up will each receive a cash prize of $300, and a $150 cash prize for the classroom.
- Eight additional entries will be selected as Honorable Mention and will receive a cash prize of $200, with a cash prize of $100 for the classroom (per winning student).
- The top twelve winners as outlined above will be featured in the 2014 Workplace Safety Calendar.
- Non-placing top 35 semi-finalists will receive a certificate of recognition from the Utah Labor Commission.
Deadline for all contest entries to be received by our office is
February 22, 2013 by 5:00 pm. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Judging will occur about March 29th, 2013. The winning posters will be reproduced as either framed posters and/or calendars, as determined by the Labor Commission to be used for Utah Safety Month in June 2014.
EACH SCHOOL ENTERING THE CONTEST WILL RECEIVE A MINIMUM CASH PRIZE OF $300 FOR THEIR PARTICIPATION! (Schools with winners will receive the additional prize money for each student in the top 12!)
All winning posters become the property of the Utah Labor Commission AND WILL NOT BE RETURNED. The Non-winning posters will be held at our facility for a short period of time, so pick-up arrangements from the school can be made.
Thank you for your participation and willingness to promote workplace safety in Utah!